Starting Point: Kakani (26 km northeast from Kathmandu)
Ending Point: Surya Chour
Duration: 4-5 hours
Difficulty Level: Easy
Best Season: All around the year
Location: Northeast of Kathmandu Valley
Kakani to Surya Chour hiking starts with one and half hours drive to Kakani through the Pasang Lamu highway in the northeast direction from Kathmandu. Kakani is a beautiful village with even beautiful mountain views. It is the starting point of our hiking too. This hiking is the pleasant walk on the trails upwards penetrating through the lush forest playing hide and seek with the mountains. It takes 4-5 hours of walk to reach Surya Chour.
- A clear view of the whole Kathmandu Valley (Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, and Lalitpur)
- Breath-taking panorama of Mountains like Manaslu, Langtang, Dorje Lakpa, Ganesh Himal, and Gaurishankar ranges.
- Chance to know about the lifestyle of locals first-hand.
- Chance to observe different species of Butterflies, birds, and orchids.
- Explore around Shivapuri National Park.
How to reach there (For Independent Hikers)
The starting point of the Kakani to Surya chour Hiking is Kakani. It will take about one and half hours to reach there if you have a private vehicle. If you want to go by Public vehicle, the bus to Kakani leaves every day from Machhapokhari. The hike will start from Kakani. It will take 4-5 hours to reach Kakani depending upon your fitness level.
Where to Stay
If you are tired or simply want to stay a night there, there are several small teahouses in Kakani. Also, if you are well prepared for camping, make sure your camping spot is safe enough or ask locals to recommend you a safe camping spot.
- Lunch during hiking.
- Guide Fee.
- All transportation.
What's not included?
- National Park Fee (Rs. 1000 0r $10).
- Personal Expenses.