Starting Point: Changunarayan Temple (32 km east of Kathmandu)
Ending Point: Nagarkot
Duration: 4 hours
Difficulty Level: Easy
Best Season: All around Year
Location: South of Kathmandu Valley
Nagarkot hiking is a well-known destination around the Kathmandu valley for short hikers and outdoor enthusiasts. A beautiful city located at the elevation of 2195m has been successful to attract thousands of national and international visitors every day. Changunarayan is the starting point of the hike. The hike is a slow and steady walk of 4 hours through different forests, villages, and farmlands.
Nagarkot Hiking Highlights:
- Opportunity to witness the whole Kathmandu Valley (Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, and Lalitpur) and surrounding hills riding the horse.
- Distant view of Mt. Everest, the world’s highest mountain.
- Up-close panorama of the mountain ranges like Langtang, Gauri Shankar, Ganesh Himal, and Mt. Manaslu.
- Beautiful sunrise and sunset amidst the Himalayas.
- View tower is located at the top of Nagarkot Hill.
- Visit the historical and beautiful Changunarayan, the oldest living monument of the city and a famous UNESCO world heritage site.
- Chance to know about the cultures and lifestyles of locals.
How to reach there (For Independent Hikers)
To reach Nagarkot, you have to catch the Bus to Bhaktapur from Old Buspark (15 min walk from Thamel). It will take about 30 min to reach Bhaktapur Buspark. From there, you have to catch a bus to Sankhu which takes another 30 mins. The hike is a total of 4 hours passing through pine forests, villages, and farmhouses.
Where to Stay
If you are tired or want to stay overnight stay, there are several hotels and Guest Houses in Nagarkot.
Short Outline of the Nagarkot Hiking:
- Early morning pick up from Kathmandu Valley.
- Drive to Changunarayan Temple and Explore it.
- Hike to Nagarkot.
- Have Lunch and Explore Nagarkot.
- Drive Back to Kathmandu after sunset at Nagarkot.
- All transportation During Hike.
- Lunch Package.
- Bottle of mineral water.
- Guide fee.
What's not included?
- Personal Expenses.
- Services not mentioned in Price included.